Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Profe!

I'm tired! I was sick all weekend with a fever, so I spent a lot of time in bed (although probably not as much as I should have... I already had plans to visit some friends' house, so we went anyways!). Thankfully this morning I awoke without any trace of fever, so I was able to get up and go work!
Yesterday, like every Monday, was team meeting day, so all the people working here with Formando Vidas got together from 9:30-1:00ish. By the time we got back at 2:00, I was so exhausted I decided I wanted to sleep more than I wanted to eat...And I slept through the thunderstorm that brought with it a pile of sleet! I thought I heard something hitting the window, but just ignored it. Anyways, when I finally got out of bed a couple hours later to heat up some leftover rice and lentils, I was surprised to see white all over the ground in the patio!
Today I started my week at Escuela Luz y Vida (Light and Life School). It went well. There wasn't any force feeding of children; these all eat well: I think they understand the value of food a little more than the wee ones do. The kids are very sweet and very difficult. I'm assisting a teacher in a class of five boys, all of whom are basically special needs kids. Whew! (or as we say here: uysh!)
How many times during one day can you possibly hear "PROFE!" yelled? And supposedly be able to distinguish which of the teachers is being summoned? And then have some sort of response to whatever the situation is, whether it be a disagreement, a need for help with school work, permission to go to the bathroom, to be pushed on the swings, or just some attention?

This morning, when we arrived with the ruta (bus route to pick up and drop off kids), the first thing we did was go play on the playground while waiting for the others to arrive (we were a bit early). While there, a street man walked through, searching the trashcans. Here, many of the foods and condiments that we have in jars in the States come in bags (jam, ketchup, milk). It broke my heart to watch him squeezing a yogurt bag for any last drop that might have remained inside.

This afternoon, because of rain, it took longer than usual for the ruta to drop everyone off and arrive back at the office, where I stay. We left around 2:40 and didn't get here until 5:00, at which time I went straight to the grocery store. I wasn't until probably an hour later, when the Tuesday pastry lady rang the bell to sell us delicious pastelillos filled with chicken, that I reached in my pocket and found: Jose's keys. He's one of the boys in the class I helped with today, and I kept his keys for him when they fell out of his pocket while playing. I hope he had somewhere to go until his Mom got home and let him in. Que pena...

1 comment:

Emerly Sue said...

Keep writing your adventures down! I demand it, profe!

You know. In high school, I called my Spanish teacher that and when I got to college and in Spanish class, I called my teacher that and I really think it weirded her out...