Tuesday, October 27, 2009

The sun always comes up

October is a rainy month. One afternoon I got caught in a downpour twice, and even though I had an umbrella I had to change both times because my pants were soaked! It was definitely a "frog strangler" as I grew up hearing, or "raining buckets" or, as we say here "Estaba cayendo un palo de agua" -- which I like to translate, it's raining so hard it'll beat you with a stick!
We had a whole week of rain, but since then it's been nice with a few days of sun and then a rainy one. Today was clear. I woke up early and came upstairs as the eastern sky was starting to lighten. The morning star twinkled over the stark black line of the mountains on the other side of the valley. A few sparse clouds turned pink as roosters welcomed the gift of another day. It's such a blessing that I get to live here on the farm. J. and I are in Viña house now. Another change, but not as drastic as moving from the city to here.
I'm looking toward the horizon of my time here and wondering when the light will break over the peaks and be shed on the next step. Just like I felt this morning, I want to see what will come to light but the moments of semidarkness are so beautiful that I don't want to let them go. I know that as soon as I decide when and where I'm going to do my YWAM trainig school things will begin to change. The planet keeps turning, the star distances itself and fades, the pink clouds turn peach, then grey. Yes, there will be other sunrises, but never the same.

3 comments:

Marcia said...

Hi Emily,
This is Marcia Koelln from a small town in the middle of Texas. I've started reading your blog because I'm interested in Colombia, especially orphanages where people are seeking to be Christ's hands and feet. Are you on Facebook? I'd like to communicate with you a bit more but am not sure how to contact you.

You have a way with words, and have been a blessing to me!

Emily said...

Marcia, please see our website www.colombiastreetkids.org
I'm glad you found the blog... keep in touch!

Marcia said...

Hi again, Emily, I went to the website you recommended and asked them to forward my e-mail address to you.

In the meantime, something I've been searching for (as I've researched Colombia from afar) is any description of the smells that you encounter on a daily basis. Also, anything that would involve the five senses. These sensory impressions would help make Colombia come alive for those who have not experienced it themselves. Maybe this will give you some ideas to blog about. . .

I appreciate the sensory things you've already included.

Keep up the good work!

Blessings!

Marcia