Sunday, December 12, 2010

"I am not angry."

Sitting by the creek, I asked without words what my problem was;
Both wanted and didn’t want a response.
Hoped that the river’s music would soothe my soul like David’s harp;
That I wouldn’t have to ask the hard questions, nor face the facts.
Knew that when I awoke earlier, I asked a question and received an answer:
What do I need to walk?
What do I need to get rid of in order to walk it?

Idols and idolatry.

I only read Isaiah 27 because that’s where I had left off the last time, but
The Word of God is full of life,
always applicable,
a double-edged sword.

“Sing about a fruitful vineyard:
I, the LORD, watch over it.
I water it continually.
I guard it day and night
So that no one may harm it.

I AM NOT ANGRY.

If only there were briers and thorns confronting me!
I would march against them in battle;
I would set them all on fire.
Or else let them come to me for refuge;
Let them make peasce with me,
Yes, let them make peace with me.

By this then, will Jacob’s guilt be atoned for,
And this will be the FULL FRUITAGE of the removal of his sin:
When he makes all the altar stones
to be like chalk stones crushed to pieces,
no Asherah poles or incense altars
will be left standing.”

One:
GOD IS NOT ANGRY.
I am angry. With myself more than with anyone else. For not being able to live in the present. For not obeying, for my own good. For forgetting again. For having habits that are hard to break.
But God is not angry with me.
I’m not sure what his emotion is… sadness? Wistfulness? Jealous desire?
God is not angry!
Maybe I can forgive myself as well, stop being angry at myself for not being perfect.
Two:
The FULL FRUITAGE of the removal of sin.
In other words: Yes, I’m already forgiven.
But I still have action to take for my atonement to be complete: Getting rid of idols and idolatry.
It would be a lot easier for me if they were physical idols. A statue, a possession…
If I were Hindu, it wouldn’t be easy though. It wasn’t any easier for the Israelites to get rid of their stone altars, because we all truly believe that we NEED our idols.

No comments: