Monday, February 14, 2011

Sunday at church, we take up a whole row of seats, practically. During the music time, in a song that sounds very moving and while all of the people in the congregation raising their hands and closing their eyes, I sit with three small children (trying to keep some kind of order and not be a distraction to everyone around us). I look over at Li'l J and what is he doing?
His eyes closed and head slightly inclined, with a little smile on his mouth, he's swaying back and forth and doing an over-exaggerated slow clap!
My first thought is to make him stop, because he'll bother the others. But almost immediately I realize how ridiculously over-spiritual the whole situation is, and burst out laughing with J., who actually feels the freedom to mock our evangelical culture. Of course, trying to get over the giggles is difficult for both of us, and the lady in the next row shoots us a dirty look, but it's worth it.
(I'm not saying that the song is bad or anything, just that we take ourselves too seriously. God laughs, people!)


After church we go to the parent visit. It is pretty good, actually, but so emotionally and spiritually charged that when we leave I feel like I need to cry.
If the visit affects ME that much, how must the kids feel??

No comments: