Tuesday, July 1, 2008

just a summery note

The weather has been beautiful since I got back to Greensboro. Breezy, with afternoon and night thunderstorms, sunshine and clouds... close to perfect! I miss the West Virginia weather and lack of humidity, but this is a great week, weather-wise at least, for me to be on vacation from work.
Yesterday I ate junk food and then read on the steps for hours. Last night I stayed up way too late with friends, playing cards and then going to jazz night at a local college house to enjoy the live stylings of local musicians. Today I went for another prayer walk near church with some friends, and now I'm sitting on the stairs again listening to the guys on the porch downstairs with their guitars, hand drum, and didgeridoo. (alternate spelling: didjeridu. Thank you, Wikipedia.)
The Greensboro Days may be coming to an end, and this may be my last summer in North Carolina for a while, but I'm really enjoying it in this moment. I don't want to yearn for these days while they're still occurring. To, in the midst of having a great time, wish that these good time didn't have to end.

*News Flash* We interrupt this programming to inform you that Emily has just filled the house with smoke, due to negligence, oftentimes called "forgetfulness".
In brief, I put my lentils on the stove, where they were to boil for 2 minutes, then sit and soak for an hour. I promptly forgot them and decided to go blog outside on the stairs, where, of course, I could neither hear nor smell the beans.
M and A, this was waaay worse than the time with the tortilla (but somehow the alarms didn't go off this time). Just another proof that I should not be allowed to multi-task.
So I've just spent the last 20 minutes trying to air out the place, steel-wool-scrub the charred lentils off the bottom of LJ's pot, and generally replace the smell of smoke by, ironically, lighting candles.

I think this post's life has come to an end. What will I eat for dinner now?

4 comments:

Emerly Sue said...

Yes...Your roommates at dinner told me about the beans. They loved it. (;

I love you. and your smokey lentils.

Emily said...

"lentils, take 2" went over very well and anna and i thoroughly enjoyed them.
buuut, the house still smells like smoke. bummer.

MarySuz said...

ohhhhh emily. you need to watch that multi tasking friend !

Katie said...

I heard about you smokey lentils! friend I think you and I both have issues with multi-tasking! oh well its fun! hope the smell of smoke is long gone!!