Tuesday, July 15, 2008

purge

what am i going to do with all this STUFF?

I need to be packing for my move. Moving has been a yearly (or sometimes twice-yearly) event for the past five. I should be better at this, better at motivating myself, better at getting down to the task, better at ruthlessly throwing out or giving away, better at avoiding accumulation!
I am planning a yardsale. Let me know if you would like to make it a joint effort!

Saint Basil's words are rolling around in my head like it's a pinball machine, though: "The clothes that you store in boxes, belong to the naked. The shoes rotting by you, belong to the bare-foot."

I want to get rid of as much as possible before leaving The Green House. I'm tired of packing and unpacking the same stuff every year that I don't use or enjoy. And when I go to Colombia, I want to only keep the minimum of things that I want for my return (whenever, and to wherever, that may be). It is a problem that I like kitchenware, and furniture, and books.

But maybe I can loan these items out to friends in need? And maybe I can, with naked honesty, challenge myself to give away clothes that I never wear and that I won't be taking with me to Bogotá. Refugee resettlement organizations in this area always need donations to help new families set up house, and that feels in line with St. Basil's admonition.

3 comments:

Emerly Sue said...

I always feel the same.

zachwood said...

"Naked honesty...give away clothes"

Nice pun.

John Adams said...

What a great quote! Whatever we do not use belongs to the poor. If we ever get to Greensboro, I might have a few things to add to your yardsale collection.