Sunday, August 24, 2008

time machine

I am sitting in my time machine right now. Soon I'll go home, back to the 1970s. But this afternoon I'm in this magical place where I buy a beverage and a pastry and they let me sit for a couple of hours and use their technology!

Adjusting to "Life Without the Internet" has been much harder than I expected! I stand firm in my decision to not have internet access at home, though. Well, if a neighbor happened to have an unsecured network, I would totally use it but basically, I don't want to pay for it!
Really I didn't think that my everyday life was that dependent on this network connection -- what IS the internet anyways? it isn't Anywhere, but it's Everywhere, and it has all this information about me and my electronic interactions stored Somewhere -- until I didn't have it. Now I find myself making notes about people I need to email, saving drafts to my desktop for later dispersion, struggling to maintain efficient contact with colleagues and friends, and literally making "internet chores" part of my weekly must-do's.
sheesh.

1 comment:

Blood in my Eyes said...

Don't you find you write better emails when you don't have it though? It's like you get to store up thoughts for a while until you get to share them with the person you're e-mailing. I salute you in your efforts!