Thursday, November 6, 2008

"Merry Christmas, America! Who did we get?" and Empathy

"America has sent a good message to the world. ... Yesterday I received about ten phone calls from Ghana asking me if it was true, or if the media was lying to them." Was the U.S., in fact, electing an African-American as the head of state?
Talking politics with my Ghanain co-worker this season has been fun. Even though he won't become a citizen until next year and, therefore, couldn't vote, he's been one of the most enthusiastic followers of the campaigning. Every day I saw him at work he asked me if I'd heard the latest news, or if I'd watched the debate, or if I'd finally made up my mind. Once he even offered to make me some cream puffs if I would just make my decision (but I never got them...).

Driving home from work Tuesday night, I felt like it was Christmas Eve -- I'd go to bed and wake up to brightly-wrapped, red and blue results, brought to us all by voters, hard-working volunteers and news-broadcasters.
That morning, the community recreation center across from my house was transformed into a polling place, and the parking lot was full when I got up at 7:00 a.m. Walking around near my church later in the morning, inviting local business owners and employees to join us for a week of prayer for the city, was delightful. First, the receptionist next door to our rented space expressed gratitude for the invitation and concern for the election. "Are you all open for prayer today? I feel a real need for prayer this morning." The waiting taxi drivers down the block watched the news as Obama cast his vote, and asked who we'd voted for. Jovial and friendly, they took information about the times of open prayer. I hope to see some of them next week.

I want to feel joy with them, and concern for our country and world with Donna, too.

Is this similar to Paul's saying in 1 Corinthians 9, "Though I am free and belong to no man, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God's law but am under Christ's law), so as to win those not having the law. To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some. I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings" ?
To empathize, to feel with others?

No comments: