Tuesday, November 11, 2008

micro-charity at home (and abroad?)

"The sad fact is, distant acts of macro-charity will always be easier. As much as we're told that money has its hold on society, time and empathy are the real commodities people are unwilling to part with. We're all for helping the broken and downtrodden, just not on our ride home after a long day. The life Jesus actually calls us to... is one that gets down in the muck of the human experience and live with the people there...
"While supporting global cuases is both necessary and noble, we can't be self-satisfied in our efforts if we ignore the hurting people around us... Am I being naive in believing we can make a difference locally without sacrificing our concern globally? ... will we take a risk to put a face to the problems we give lip service to?"
-Adam Smith, "Bus Stops and Missed Opportunities" Relevant Magazine, Nov-Dec 2008

You probably know that I'm often wondering about what I'll do after my year in Bogota. Will one year turn into two, a few, several, a life? Or will it be: one year? Will I go to another country, or return to my own? If I come back to live in the States, I wonder which one I'll go to, and what I'll do. Work? Study? Live in community? Live on a farm in exchange for my labor? Come back to Greensboro?
This is where that cry for FOCUS! comes back in, and article's like Smith's in Relevant this month make me question the practice of leaving our homelands to go work with people in other places. A note, though: the author is an American currently living in New Zealand. Maybe the "hurting people around us" really can be just whoever is around me, regardless of where I am? Maybe my location matters less than my actions? But as long as I'm here, I can't defer my "helping the broken and downtrodden", putting it off for February.

I already feel myself pulling back a bit here in Greensboro. I'm standing against it -- trying to stay connected and involved -- but there are some things that seem less important than they would if I were going to be staying around for more than just another month.
I love Greensboro, and it's been a great home, and it's been especially beautiful to me this year, knowing I'm leaving it. But there is definitely a part of me that thinks I won't be moving back to the Gate City. I can't say yet if I think I'll be moving back to N.C., or to the U.S. of A.
I'm thankful I don't have to know yet.

I'll try to reflect on the money aspect of that excerpt in another post.

1 comment:

Emerly Sue said...

God will lead you every step of the way. It's so hard to stay focused and to be patient though, isn't it.