Wednesday, August 24, 2011

pets

Introducing the newest animal member of the Kiwi Household: Tabbycat!

We picked her up Sunday after church. So far she is adapting very well, is very curious and friendly and not too mischeivous.
Yesterday I decided to take her to get her vaccines, so I found a large shoe box, lined it with newspaper, put her in and used masking tape to secure the lid.
Negra, our dog, also needed some medical attention, due to the mysterious swelling of her face on Saturday and then the breakout or scratched-off skin on her snout Sunday and Monday. I attempted to cross-tie her in the back of the Nissan Patrol, put Tabbycat's box on the front floorboard, and we were off down the bumpy dirt road. (Oh, this was after I had to break into my own house, climbing through the small bathroom window, since I left my keys inside.)

Negra's leash clasp is damaged, so she soon freed herself and proceeded to stick her disgusting snout uncomfortably close to me while I was driving. The cat in the box behaved well. We arrived to Veterniaria El Oso and Negra pulled me through the door. It turned out to be some sort of allergic reaction, either to bee sting or some stinging plant that grows around here. The vet treated her and sold me some medicine and cream for her nose, as well as a new collar and leash.
One pet down, the other to go. I finally got Negra back in the car, lifting all 26.6 kilos of her (over 50 lbs) into the back of the car. Then I went to the front to carry in Tabbycat, who by this point was going crazy in the confined space of the shoebox. After they gave her her shots I put her back in the box, which she did not like one bit. She started clawing and biting at the cardboard and trying to stick her head out of the side. By this point the masking tape was getting a little worn and had lost much of its adhesive power, but I didn't bother to put on anymore.
Bad idea.
As I turned on the car and started down the road, TabbyCat emerged from the box. I tried to shoo her away, even stopped the car to put her back inside, but nothing worked! So I suddenly had a loose dog and a loose cat in the car, while driving along a curvy mountain road!
These animals did not know each other yet, and I wasn't sure how they would react. For a while I held the cat still against my abdomen with one arm, driving with the other hand. When she squirmed free she began to look for a way to get into the back of the car, where Negra was loose, looking out the window!
Thankfully it's a short drive, only about five minutes, because that was some intense, and strange stress! The good thing was that it was a stress utterly different to that which I'm used to, so it wasn't horrible!

No comments: