Thursday, June 5, 2008

I ain't no angel...

...in the sense of Rob Bell's chapter (in Sex God) about being neither angels nor animals in our sexuality. I really get pissed off when men say or yell things while I'm walking or biking by, reducing me to an animal or less, an object, to be appraised. "I like them legs!"
This, on top of what seems to be a semester-ly occurence: the student who wants to date the teacher.
If I were a man, how many of my female students would try to flirt with me, "get to know me", or ask me out? None, is the most likely answer. Perhaps an occasional, slightly emotionally imbalanced woman, but that's it.
Is this based on instinctive gender differences? (in other words: Are men in general more likely to pursue a mate, without regard for the perceived barriers?) Or is it a lack of respect for women as equals and as professionals?

Whatever it is, it's brought me back to trying to reconcile the fact of my sexuality as a good thing and a God-designed blessing in light of the negative or unwanted attention it can bring.
I can start dressing like a puritan, or a fundamental muslim, in hopes of de-sexualizing myself, but that doesn't get to the root of my struggle.
I'm asking God (and anyone who's been through these kind of situations) for guidance through this. Do I somehow encourage these advances?


_________________________________________________________________
On a completely different note, I just heard from a friend who is still in Colombia that the shantytown area where most of the program's kids live is being shut down today. I wish I were there right now.
The government is supposed to have allotted each family a plot of land and a little house on the outskirts of the city. When I was there, just under a month ago, I was told that the houses had not been constructed and the g'ment was back-pedaling on their word of what they'd provide. These families, if they go, will not have any homes, nor employment to help them keep up and improve their homes. If they do not go, they will literally be on the streets. Many of the children may end up in institutions.
Come, Lord Jesus! I want an end to this misery! Until then, we have to figure out what to do next to help ease the world's pains and injustices, one step at a time.

1 comment:

Emerly Sue said...

"an occasional, slightly emotionally imbalanced woman"

bahahahahah. I love you.