Thursday, June 12, 2008

life as a series of short films

That's how I like to think of it sometimes. Single scenes, really. Shorter than Coffee and Cigarettes much of the time. This morning was a good one.

[Notes: There is no dialogue, except maybe a couple of lines to myself... but it would have to be done right. I guess it would need a song, but I don't know what yet. Wardrobe needs to be "young person trying to look professional but not to the extreme."
Background: I'm tired and a little bit sick, and I had a lot to do today. I was running very late for various reasons, one of which being I was trying to fix a bike tire instead of getting myself ready for work. I failed to make the repair, so I hopped in the Honda and raced to the depot, praying that the bus hadn't left yet. When I got there, I parked and ran up a hill, deciding to try to intercept the bus at the point where it exits the terminal instead of running around through the entrance and probably missing it. The movie probably starts as I'm running there, slinging my backpack on and fishing out my two dollars as I go.]

There I stood, waiting as the buses filed out. I waved to my friendly Tuesday and Thursday morning chauffeur but he mouthed that he couldn't let me on at this point. I was ready to give up and resign myself to driving all the way to High Point, with gas at $4 a gallon, but then he gestured toward a bus stop a block away. Hope!
I started jogging toward that stop, my sore throat already burning within ten paces. I waited for my chance to cross the road, and then made a dash for it. Half-way across, however, I realized that something was awry. My bookbag was coming unzipped! In the middle of the lanes my tupperware tumbled to the ground, spilling cookies and crackers and a bag of cheese on the pavement. My notebook, folder, and "Initial Consonants Bingo" game followed shortly thereafter.
Explitives erupted and I quickly kneeled down for my books, tupperware, and cheese (kept safe in the bag!) as the bus went by me. (at this point, the camera angle is from inside the bus, as all those who arrived in time watch the saga of a twenty-something part-time ESOL instructor make a public spectacle of herself)
A real gentleman, he waited at the bus stop for a couple of seconds, but I waved my appreciation and that he should just go.
A few tears roll down my cheeks as I get my things together and the shot fades out.


And that, ladies and gentlemen, is my life! I decided if I view in this format I can take myself out of the embarrassment a bit and be able to face everyone who saw me when next Tuesday rolls around and I get there on time!

2 comments:

Emerly Sue said...

And the shot fades out...To Matt crying into his pancakes.

Emily said...

yesss!
i thought about intro-ing the short-film format by mentioning that one, but 1. the post would've gotten way too long and 2. i guess that one's not really my story to tell!
le sigh