Tuesday, April 28, 2009

current events

Li'l J got lice. We shaved off his curly hair, which somehow makes him look much older and not as off-balanced: he already has a big head, and the 'fro made him seem top heavy, I suppose, even though I loved it.
At night as I'm putting him to bed we pray together. Usually I ask who he wants to pray for and then I do the talking, but sometimes he wants to say his own prayers. It's really sweet when you can tell he's really thinking about what he's saying, and thanking Papito Dios (Daddy God) for the cool things he got to do that day.
This past weekend we had a YWAM Bogota retreat in nearby Chinauta, which is hot country and rural. Li'l J LOVES the swimming pool! I also had a great time and got spoiled by friends who played with him a lot to give me time to do my own thing; I really appreciated that. He can't pronounce Chinauta... it comes out Chinota
: another cute 3-year-old pronunciation problem. All weekend it was "can I go to the pool now?" and "I want to play with T." (a friend of fellow volunteers)
He needs to learn that to have friends you have to be a friend. He can be a tricky little booger, and downright spiteful when he doesn't get his way. T's dad told me today that while the boys were playing over the weekend, J wanted T's favorite toy tractor, but T didn't want to give it to him. J suggested they play soccer, but as T ran toward the ball, J ran for the tractor.
The signs of the Fall show up really early, huh? Anyways, today T was kind of angry with J...
We watched a sermon by Craig Hill while we were in Chinauta, and it gave me a lot to think about with my relationship with God and especially now helping to raise a child. Maybe I'll post more once I process more, but for now I'll say that I'm wondering what needs to be healed or cut away from inside of me that negatively affects the way I relate to J. It challenged me to discipline with God's discipline instead of punishments based in shame (my own shame being transferred to him).
I don't know if that makes any sense, but like I said maybe I'll go more into it later.
I feel rested. I feel more playful, more fun. That, in itself, is a huge blessing.
Buenas noches

No comments: