Sunday, January 6, 2008

Ontology is the "metaphysical science or study of being," and comes from the latin "ontologia".
This blog, if I manage to stay committed to it, will hopefully present snippets of a study of being: of my life and personal growth and regressions, of human nature, and of the sparks of the divine in and all around us. These studies of being will come in the form of reflections on books, interactions, thoughts, and travels. They will be an attempt to keep a record, and to find the cosmic in the chaos.
I desire to make a mark, albeit a rudimentary scratch or doodle in the dirt. This is a very human impulse. It is part of being.

I am not one who makes New Year's Resolutions. I prefer short-term goals and long-term aspirations, but don't usually view my life in twelve-month blocks. Maybe this is why New Year's celebrations are confusing to me. The second between December 31 of one year and January 1 of the next doesn't mystify me or thrill me as much as it seems to affect those around me. Am I a scrooge? (By the way, thank you, Mr. Dickens, for your impact on the English language.)
What does this new year have in store for me, then? It will be my first full calendar-year since 1989 of not being in school. I hope to travel some, to make conscious and consistent efforts to spend time with friends, and to keep reading. I hope to continue toward (and attain?) complete financial independence from my parents. I hope to continue to enjoy my work. I hope to more fully enjoy the good things of life in all its moments, including this one, rather than always and only looking ahead.
I hope to remind myself to live "ontologically" -- to be what I am, without trying to add to or take away from that essence (Gk. ousia).
I am human. Therefore, let me be fully human: neither animal nor angel. I will live in that tension. I consent to it.


[Maybe the creation of this blog is an attempt, or the result of a desire, to have a Resolution. "Resolution" being a breaking down into simpler parts, an understanding or solving, as well as making a decision and holding firmly (as in resolute). The "holding firmly" part is what scares me. I don't want to make this blog a chore, and then feel guilty if (inevitably, when) I slack off. I do, however, want an outlet and some feedback occasionally. Also, this is more formal than my paper journal, and can perhaps motivate me to write again. I miss harnessing my creativity.]

authors who deserve recognition for their contributions to my thoughts: Madeleine L'Engle (A Circle of Quiet, The Summer of the Great-Grandmother) and Rob Bell (Sex God)
websites: www.etymonline.com

1 comment:

Bartlebe said...

Ill be happy to watch and makes comments when I can.