Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Who hits a bus??

This morning, the bus I was riding got rear-ended.
Thankfully, we were only a couple of blocks from the terminal (where we were headed) so we three passengers just got off and walked. But really, did the driver not see the bus in front of him? Maybe he was messing with his radio. When I think about it that way, I'm surprised I've never hit a bus before.


Frustration: Being a young, single woman teaching adult students from other cultures. As your instructor I can not date you, nor do I want to, really.
Especially when you're twice my age.
Or can't even put together the complete sentence to ask for my number.

But then, I feel bad because I'm the teacher and my desire is for them to enjoy class and to learn and to become more comfortable in the cultural setting. Besides, it takes guts to ask somebody out. And I don't want to crush them.
Advice? Opinions? (Oh, and I'm a terrible liar, so making up a boyfriend probably won't work too well.)


On the opposite end of the emotional spectrum: I had a nice conversation with a girl on my way back to Greensboro, whose enthusiasm was contagious. She was going to meet her fiance after not seeing each other for two years. He'd been in prison in New York and they're going to get married tomorrow. Her birthday is Friday. Their daughter is going to be surprised that Daddy is finally able to make good on the promise to come play with her. It's a big week!

It's a big week for my household, too. Two roommate birthdays (one, a twenty-first) and a trip to Miami!!!

No comments: