Monday, January 7, 2008

primavera en enero

("spring in january"... but i like the sound of it better in Spanish. There are more repeated sounds. or how about primero veranenero, which is jibberish-y, but has even more rhyme-y/ alliterative syllables and could mean something like "first summer-january")

Today in my break between working, I walked down to the park with a blanket, my journal, and a book to enjoy the weather. My occasional whistles accompanied the steady flip-flop rhythm of my paces. Breathe deeply: be conscious of each breath.

In the grass, dotted with spiky sweet-gum balls, I spread my mat. Bare toes encouraged soles to take it all off and get comfortable. My soul got comfortable. I faced the sun, felt as though I were setting aside time to have daily prayers, like a faithful Muslim facing Mecca. Only, I think I was actually facing south-ish. No matter: this is holy ground.
Each breath in rejuvinated. Each breath out gave thanks.
It lasted like this for about 7 minutes.

and then, the clock pealed the half-hour and I looked around and decided to read.


unfinished thoughts: could it have lasted longer? could i have reconnected? this rest was wonderful; why don't we have mandated breaks to re-center? siesta, prayer times (the Islamic world has five; can't we at least have one?), elevensies, whatever!


thanks to: http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/Homework/religion/Islam.htm#pray , Rob Bell (again, but this time via Nooma video "Breathe"), my small group ladies for wonderful convo

No comments: