Thursday, March 13, 2008

when did that chrysalis open?

Not that I'm all butterfly, by any means, but a little caterpillar-y part of me has changed within the last year--definitely over the last 4 years--and I just realized it last night!
When I came to Greensboro, I was excited to be out on my own and out of my small town into "the city". Nevertheless, my recollection is that I maintained the belief that I would definitely return to a smaller town, or even the country, and that I was not interested in moving into a city in a more permanent way, especially when I got ready to buy a house and start popping out babies.
I remember thinking that the ministry of people who intentionally moved into inner-city, low-income, predominately-minority neighborhoods was interesting, but that it would never be for me, because I didn't feel led in that direction. Even in December 2006, only a little over a year ago, when I went to the Urbana missions conference, I didn't attend any of the urban ministry seminars they offerred because I didn't think I'd ever get into that niche.
But lately, I've been considering it. I'm not sure what the future holds, obviously, but my heart as been growing for reconciliation between races and socio-economic classes here in my divided city, and I find myself desiring to expand my ventures into the world on the other side of the tracks... into a neighborhood that is literally a five-minute walk from my house.

1 comment:

Marshall Benbow said...

Hmmm, sounds like someone needs to consider coming on GUPY this summer.