Saturday, April 26, 2008

The cheerful giver

When Jacob high-tailed it from his parents' house, running from his murderous brother to his uncle's land, he spent a night outside on the ground, with a rock for his pillow. And there the LORD spoke to him, promising His faithfulness and blessings to Jacob and to all people through him.
The next morning, after making the pillow-rock a monument to the LORD, Jacob made a commitment of faithfulness, too. The difference? Jacob's was conditional. "IF you will protect me and bring me back here safely, like you promised, THEN you will be my God, and I will trust you and give you ten percent of everything you give me." (Genesis 28:20-22, paraphrased)
When I remember His faithfulness to me in the past and present and trust His promises for the future, I can set aside my conditions. Being grateful opens up a door to joy.
On Tuesday, I read this in Robert Lupton's book: "To be a cheerful giver, one must be a free giver -- free from coercion and manipulation, free from emotional hooks that corner and obligate." After an insanely busy week, I spent a wonderful hour in the park resting and praying today. And Jacob's promise to "tithe" on condition, out of obligation or repayment for God's protection and blessings stood out to me. The LORD did not pursue Jacob for any merit of his own, nor did He promise his blessings contingent on Jacob's response or responsibility. And God decided to bless the whole world through Jacob.

I trust God to provide for my financial needs for Colombia, which frees me up to give more right now rather than saving every extra penny!

1 comment:

MarySuz said...

what an awesome freedom to discover!