Saturday, January 22, 2011

Yesterday I bought my driver's license.

That's right. Bought it.
I had to go show my documents and pay some money, take a psychological test in which I could only answer "si" or "no" -- NOT Emily's kind of test! -- take hearing and vision exams, and then a computerized test which made me wish I had played more video games in my life. Then I had to catch a bus, walk about 20 blocks (when, according to the address I thought was only going to be 5 blocks...), give a digital fingerprint, and go back to the first place I was at (where they did the exams). Then I had to wait a bit, have a minimal medical exam by a doctor who wore too much jewelry (but when I found myself thinking "you get paid way to much" I had to remind myself that Jesus loves him, too), go make some photocopies, stand in line, turn in my documents and get a picture taken, then go pay some more money.
By this point it was 3:00 pm. I had left the office at 11:00 am. When they told me that I needed to wait another hour to receive my license, I couldn't take it anymore! I was hungry, tired, and felt guilty for not being in the house to help Bibiana all day long. Hopefully I'll go back on Monday to pick it up, and then I can learn to drive all over again... The thought of driving in Bogota scares me a bit!