Monday, March 28, 2011

Book recommendation


So this past weekend I had a great time visiting my cousin, Iris, who's living in Barranquilla, on the northern coast of Colombia. (Yes, Shakira's hometown.)
While I was with her, she lent me a book, which I was able to read during my super-chill weekend. Written by Kevin DeYoung, a pastor in the midwest, it's called Just Do Something: A Liberating Approach to Finding God's Will, and I can really recommend it to other Christians who want to live in God's will. He specifically has lots of advice for my peers (twenty- and thirty-somethings wondering about the major decisions -- where to live, what job to take, who to marry), which is both challenging and freeing.

There are many topics it covers that I would love to discuss, but really I just suggest that you read the book, and then maybe we can chat about what you found interesing. However, I do want to share this excerpt, which resonates with me a lot:

"God is all-knowing and all-powerful. He has planned out and works out very detail of our lives -- the joyous days and the difficult -- all for our good (Ecclesiastes 7:14). Because we have confidence in God's will of decree, we can radically commit ourselves to His will of desire, without fretting over a hidden will of direction.

In other words, God doesn't take risks, so we can.

... God promises to be your sun and shied and to carry you and protect with His strong right arm. So we can stop pleading with God to show us the future, and start living and obeying like we are confident that He holds the future.
" (pp 41, 42)

Oh Israel, put your hope Lord both now and always. (Ps. 131:3)

Let's stop our sins of unbelief and a lack of trust in God. He holds the future, so we don't have to micromanage it.

5 comments:

Jozeca said...

I'm so glad you mentioned this! It's the second reference I've heard to this book lately. I recently finished a different one by DeYoung which I enjoyed.

The Holy Spirit brought you to mind in prayer Saturday morning. I prayed for grace and strength to fill your parental role well - and specifically for J, that he would grow up to be an unshakable man of God. I'll continue praying for you!

Emily said...

thank you so much, Jozeca! Your prayers are so appreciated! and you should definitely check out this book... worth the read! What other book of his did you read?

Jozeca said...

I found it in the cupboard in my office. :-) Starting it!

The other one I read was called "Why We Love the Church."

Annie said...

Emily, I already wanted to read this book when you commented on it on my fb page. Now I really want to read it. I've been mulling over God's will and what it means to live in it, find it, etc lately and this sounds like a good perspective. Anyway. . . Thanks for the recommendation.

Anonymous said...

Hmm sounds very interesting! I don't think i've heard of this one, but it's not the first time..infact it's the 3rd time this year I've heard the books title as a 'theme'...hmmmm I think I might need to read it...