Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Vending Machine or Consuming Fire?

Someone once told me that an idol is a controllable god. Anything we put in a place of utmost importance, while in reality we maintain ourselves "in charge":
Our "sacrifices" to that god must be met in the timeframe and the manner that we expect, desire, demand. If they're not, then the obvious conclusion is that the offering wasn't worthy and we must do something else: deny ourselves more, fulfill a ritual or vow -- all on terms we've invented or discovered or believed -- until said "god" does what we are requesting.
This puts us in charge, but helpless. Controling and controlled.

But the thing about GOD is that he can't be controlled. Our God is a consuming fire. The only form of controlling a fire is setting boundaries by refusing to feed it more fuel. In the spiritual sense, placing a limit on God, saying "I allow Your involvement in my life to this point, but no further." Our God is a God of invitation, not of obligation. He's a gentleman.

I have a desire to control. Myself, my life, my future, even others....and to turn GOD into a god. If I fast and pray, god has to respond to me. If I ask for a response by Thursday, god must give it. If I willingly suffer, god owes me something I want.

But our God is a consuming fire. He's not a stick of wood, he's not a carved bit of stone or metal cast in a mold. He's alive, not lifeless. He is not a vending machine. If I put in a dollar I can make my selection. If the candy bar gets stuck, it is divinely unjust and I can shake the metal god into releasing my deserved blessing, or if that still doesn't work, I can go to the security guard who has to give me back my dollar. The vending machine is about supply and demand: business. That has NOTHING to do with a living being. The vending machine works on the basis of my needs and my justice. It's all about me. That has NOTHING to do with relationship.

Recently I needed to hear from God about an important decision for the ministry. I didn't feel like he was responding to me, but I was getting frustrated because God knew that I had to tell the team what I had heard from God on Monday. {Umm, Hello! That's called a Deadline, god! Jesus called us his friends, not just servants, because he doesn't hide what he's doing from us. So, if I'm your friend, why won't you tell me anything?! Remember, I need to know! By MONDAY! We need to hear from you so that we can do what you desire and therefore bring you glory! This is a really important decision! What will others think of me if I don't have a clear response?!} But there the focus wan't God being glorified, but rather myself receiving glory for how well I can hear from God... for how well I can manage the vending machine.

God wants relationship -- to know and be known. And, God is a consuming fire. So, when I ask forgivness for my demanding and my attempts to control, I invite that fire further in. What does a fire do? It burns, it warms, and it purifies. When a fire receives more fuel the flame gets hotter. That can be uncomfortable, but what the fire leaves behind is that which is unburnable, unconsumable, permanent. The result is purification.

3 comments:

Annie said...

Thank you for that post Emily, it maybe hit a little too close to home. (I think I had the very same conversation with God that you did about the Monday decision)

Sometimes I want God to just answer me, but then I remember Jesus and the pharisees. So often they would ask a question and instead of giving them the answer, he'd tell a story or ask a question, or answer something else. And that's always good to remind myself when people tell me "ask God. He'll answer". God doesn't have to respond to us. He often chooses to, but we can't force him into it.

Anyway, thanks for posting.

Emily said...

thanks, Annie... the pharisee thing IS good to remember! oh, how different his ways are to mine! btw thanks for your hospitality!

Rebecca said...

Truth. I love the FIRE description. i was thinking, too, about deadlines and answers. And you know, I've found with "deadlines" that God really rather likes to pass them and answer with His sovereign provision in circumstances... I was thinking about this as I was reading in Joshua, where God told Joshua to parcel out the land before He died - so Joshua drew lots, even though earlier, God had announced specific borders. In some things, for whatever reason, God prefers to reveal Himself circumstantially (Prov. 3 style). Bless you my friend!