Friday, February 1, 2008

restless? redirect.

In a moment of silence and clarity on the way to work one night this week, I realized that I've been feeling restless lately.
And it's because I don't have a "next big plan" for my life, like I normally do. I'm in a waiting stage and I don't want to be. I know what I want to do: to go to Colombia and work with street kids through this organization: www.colombiastreetkids.org But right now I have to wait to see if they'll accept my application, and if so, when I would go there. And if they say no? What then?
I love teaching ESOL, but I've been a little frustrated with it recently and am wondering if I can keep doing this for the rest of the year (or at least through the end of the summer), and where I'll live when the lease is up, and if I'll stay in Greensboro then or not.

So I took advantage of a pause in my day to bring these anxieties to the front of my mind and lay them out in the open before God. And my restlessness is gone! It hasn't just disappeared, but rather it has been replaced with redirection. Redirection to focus myself and my energy on where I am now, instead of rushing ahead to the future (or trying to, and getting frustrated by what appears to be a blank wall where I want to see the next step or two of a staircase).
I got realigned to live in the present and to wholly BE not only who, but where I am.
Therefore, I point myself outward instead of inward; facing those around me: roommates, friends, coworkers, students, passersby; and pouring myself into their lives and into the life of my community.
Please hold me accountable to this.

No comments: