Friday, February 22, 2008

Stuff it or consent to it?

I think too much. Is that one of those aggravating traits of my humanness that Gail says we just have to consent to, and keep going?
Can I curb it? It can probably be redirected... with considerable effort. I have tried to do so before, and experienced short reprieves. Instead of just thinking about that friend I haven't seen in a long time, pray for her. Instead of planning a million possible paths for my life over the next months, live in this day and in the excitement of this stage, rest in the assurance that I am not in control and can't know the future. Instead of beating myself up for letting my imagination get ahead of my life, breathe out, let go, and re-center on Christ.

Will I live inside myself or in the world?

1 comment:

Marshall Benbow said...

I think that you are on to something there as that post goes on. It's not something that you have to just live with and be overrun by, nor is it something that you have to work really hard to fix. There is another way, a way of the Spirit, by which you allow God to transform you by the renewing of your mind. And so the Spirit tugs at you when you begin to overthink, and reminds you to give your worries/planningness to the Lord. And the Spirit brings to mind Scripture that reinforces that you can, indeed, trust the Lord with your thoughts. You were hitting on this when you suggested to yourself that you pray rather than worry or plan. Your mind and thinking are a gift, but they are used best when used in submission to the Spirit.