Saturday, July 16, 2011

Father

Jeremiah 31:20
"Oh! Emily is my dear, dear daughter,
my child in whom I take pleasure!
Every time I mention her name,
my heart bursts with longing for her!
Everything in me cries out for her.
Softly and tenderly I wait for her."
GOD's Decree.


Insert your name here. Do it. Now, decide to believe it.
And declare it about your loved ones, your children.

After all that I've learned and am learning about the Father Heart of God,
I still find myself struggling to believe. I mean, YES, I believe that God is my Father, and the Father of the fatherless, the father of the children I love... but I was just confronted with the realization that have still been thinking-believing-living that an earthly father is more real than God-as-Father. That these children so desperately need an earthly father to make up for the Daddy-hole they have...
But I choose to believe that God is enough.
For me, for them, for you too.

I still believe that God's perfect plan includes good, earthly fathers for all of His children, but even the best Dad cannot fill everything his child needs. The Daddy-hole will still be here -- because we are souls, with bodies. We need to believe the reality of the spiritual and our necessity for more than the what the physical realm can supply.
Someday we won't be physical beings anymore; that part of us will die and decay and what remains will be spirit. Until then, we will continue to live in both worlds: our two feet firmly in the physical, and our spiritual feet firmly in that realm. But when our time on this earth ends... what will it be like? No more struggle to believe, no more living in the tension, no more doubting the Spirit's reality and relevance... Anybody got any scripture-enlightened thoughts on this?

No comments: