Thursday, July 7, 2011

Footracing Horses

Sad news: Toñeco died. I think I'll wait a while before maybe getting another kitten, unless one just shows up and needs a home.


Do you know the feeling of life being too much to handle? Like you don't know what you're supposed to do, or how to begin, or even if you're supposed to get involved, or how much?
Jesus says, in John 17:4, that he brought God glory by completing the work that God gave him to do. The whole point is bring glory to God. But knowing which tasks God gives us, and which are not ours to take on, is difficult.
He says in another place in the gospels that anyone who plans to build a structure will first sit down and count the costs and make sure that he has enough to pay to complete the project.
And in Jeremiah 12:5, God says, "If you're tired out by competing in a footrace, how will you run against horses?"

What's the work He's calling me to do?
Do I have what it takes? Can I pay the price?
How WILL I run against horses? (It cannot be done, outside of God's supernatural strength, like he gave to Elijah to outrun Ahab's chariot.)

I believe that everything that comes my way passes through God's hand, is permitted by him (even though this is hard to accept when I think of the horrible things that happen in this world). Also, I believe that God uses it all for my best interest -- to conform me more to Jesus' image. Thirdly, that God permits more than I can handle, so that I must become more dependent on Him.

1 comment:

Emerly Sue said...

good reminder, friend.