Friday, July 22, 2011

The woman who is unmarried...

[How hard it is to fully place my trust and hope in God alone! Even when I make great strides in that direction, so soon I find myself looking to others to fill me up!]

Here's another book recommendation by Emily: Sacred Singleness, by Leslie Ludy.
I generally don't read "singles" books... but at the insistence of my friend Casia (a talented, witty, and beautiful 30-something single woman who is currently on a short-term missions trip to Uganda, with plans to go back long-term next year), I bought the book, and then I forced myself to open the book, and to read the book.
(It is really good.)

Over the past couple of weeks, this was part of what God used to speak to me about where my heart is, and to set me straight about where it should be -- to seek his glory above all, to trust him completely, and to receive every season in life as a gift and enjoy it accordingly!

"...the woman who is unmarried ...is concerned about the things of the Lord, that she may be holy..." (1 Cor. 7:34)
So when I find my mind drifting to doubt or discontentment, or hanging the weight of my soul on a 'false infinite' (looking to anything or anyone other than God to be my source of identity and worth)... I have to catch myself and redirect; to discipline my thoughts (as well as my tongue and my actions)!
If I could bring more glory to God by being married at this time, then I would be, right? So here's to taking advantage of this "season of singleness" (to use Ludy's words) as a time to draw closer to God in an intimate relationship, and to really form habits like intercessory prayer. These things can continue if I get married, but now is a really good time to establish them!

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

Mmmhhmmm. I've read some of Ludy's works, though not that particular one. It's true and, like so many things in the Christian life, it's a learning process that - well, for me - never completely ends. And the Lord has so much refining in my soul that He's doing in this very season.

Annie said...

Here's my problem- Leslie Ludy is married. I suppose it doesn't make anything she says less true, but jsut as I distrust parenting books written by people who haven't raised children (or people with a toddler or 2), I have trouble reading a book with an open heart if it's directed at singles by a married person. . .

(though I read a book co-written by the Ludy's and enjoyed it, maybe I would like this one too.)

Emily said...

Yes, Annie... and she admits that/understands her readers'skepticism... but honestly, the things she shares are not based solely on her experience, but rather on the word of God, and supported by the experiences of many "vibrant singles." ...Which, I think, gives it more credibility, or makes it easier to accept. Anyways, the book is in your house if you're interested!